Both the testis should have descended into scrotum from inside the
abdomen before the child is born. Sometimes, however this descend is arrested. The
undescended testis can be within the abdomen or outside. If it is inside the abdomen,
Laparoscopy is far superior to any other method in bringing the testis down. The procedure
is done preferably at about 1 year of age.
By key hole surgery, not only can the testis be located
precisely, (this is not accurately possible even by the most advanced scans) it
can also be brought down into the scrotum by 4 small key holes. The child will be almost pain
on the day after surgery, and can go home usually by the 2nd post operative day.
This is thus a far superior technique when compared to open
surgery, were a large wound on the abdomen is required for achieving the same
thing. Besides during laparoscopy, there is a 10 to 15 times magnification of all the
delicate structures, making laparoscopy more precise and hence more successful than open
here for video
Occasionally the testis is not well developed, and therefore
should be removed.
PRE-OPERATIVE CHECK UP
1. Before admission, the child will be assessed for medical fitness for anaesthesia, by me
and the paediatrician.
DAY OF ADMISSION
1. You should come to the hospital to attend the Urology OP. The child can have a normal diet.
2. He will be given a paediatric enema the day before and the morning of surgery
DAY OF SURGERY.
1. The anaesthetist would decide from what time the child should fast. Usually this is for
a minimum of 4 hours.
2. After surgery, the child will be in the post operative intensive care ward .
3. A parent may be allowed to sit with the child.
1ST POST OPERATIVE DAY
1.Returns to the room in the morning
2. The child can have a light diet to begin with and then normal diet later.
3. He can move about.
2ND POST OPERATIVE DAY.
1. Usually allowed to go home and asked to come back for review in a week.
Because of the slight increase in incidence of malignancy , in an undescended testis, the
parents and later the child should learn to examine the testis regularly.